Photo Courtesy from The Verge
From We Hate to Waste on May 11, 2017
WISH YOU COULD GET MORE STUFF FIXED IN NYC?
Repairing is so important, it deserves to be the 4th R. But how to findrepair shops in NYC? A product with a lifetime warranty?
Good News: We have more repair options than you think. Read on to learn more, as well as pick up some tips for the other 3 Rs: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
1. Order coffee ‘to stay’. Patronize take-out restaurants that offer washables — and reduce all that plastic and aluminum container waste.
Photo Courtesy from MJ and Hungryman
3. Take a second look at secondhand — oftentimes it’s better than new! Locate thrift and vintage shops near you at DonateNYC. Buy refurbished electronics at the Lower East Side Ecology Center’s E-waste Warehouse in Gowanus, Brooklyn. Find treasures at the best flea markets in NYC.
Photo Courtesy from TimeOut NYC
4. Find out if your building is eligible for in-building collection of clothing and textiles, electronics and organics (food scraps, yard waste, food-soiled paper). If not, drop off clothing and organics at local greenmarkets. Drop off electronics at various collection sites around NYC or return them to manufacturers.
Photo Courtesy from Earth911
5. Learn how to recycle cell phones, home improvement waste, appliances, and ink and toner cartridges. Learn which plastics CAN’T go into the recycle bin. Bring plastic bags and other film waste back to retailers.
6. Get broken lamps, electronics, furniture, bikes and more fixed at PopUp Repair and Fixers Collective events in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Photo courtesy from The New York Times
7. Host your own repair cafe in your school, senior center, temple or church.
Read the original article here.