Your cart is currently empty!
Your cart is currently empty!
Cutting down on waste can start right in your bathroom! Addressing the items we habitually consume can collectively reduce large amounts of landfill waste. Check out these simple, zero waste bathroom swaps to simplify your life and protect the environment.
Why go zero waste?
Over 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into our oceans every year, and our everyday household products contribute to these mounting levels of the material’s consumption. From the moment we wake up in the morning, the first thing that many of us touch is (you guessed it) plastic. Simply by taking a look around your bathroom, you may notice a common trend: toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo bottles, and soap all packaged in single-use plastic packaging. Over just one lifetime, these products can pile up drastically. By swapping out these everyday products for low-waste options, they don’t have to.
It is never too late to shift our disposable lifestyles, and simple zero waste swapping can help eliminate the trash. Wouldn’t it be nice to not be left with all of those empty bottles and not to live with all of those synthetic, toxic ingredients? We have listed some basic zero waste bathroom swaps to make cutting down on the waste a little easier.
Apply minimalist ideology to your skincare routine by cutting out excess and simplifying the products in your regimen. Making products yourself eliminates the ingredient guessing-game! Directly control and customize your products right at home. Better for you and the planet!
Photo and recipe courtesy of: @minimalwastegirl
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 1 tbsp. bentonite clay
- 20 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops orange oil (optional)
- Coconut oil (optional to make it into toothpaste)
- Combine ingredients together and store in a reusable jar or container.
Photo and recipe courtesy of: Going Zero Waste
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice or 3 medium leaves (from backyard plant)
- 1 cup of distilled water
- 2 Teaspoons of xylitol
- 2 Teaspoons of baking soda
- Blend all of the ingredients in your blender high for about a minute.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve. This keeps any of the viscous plant matter out of the mouth wash.
- Optional: Add 2-3 drops of peppermint extract
Zero Waste Bathroom Cleaner
- Equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle
- 15-20 drops of essential oil.
- Add and store ingredients in a reusable spray bottle
- Spray away!
Zero waste “swapping” is another great way to eliminate packaging waste and toxic ingredients from your bathroom. When it’s time to restock on your bathroom essentials, opt for products that check off these boxes: minimal or no plastic packaging, ethically and sustainably sourced, and made with ethical and sustainable labor. These products check them all!
3-in-1 Shampoo, Face and Body Soap Bar
- No packaging
- Lasts longer
- Easy for travel
Tip: Cut your bar soaps for longer use!
- These are reusable so you never have to buy cotton rounds again!
- Soft on the skin
- Work with a multitude of products, including toner and makeup remover
Beyond the immediate impact of reducing landfill waste, we vote with our dollars when we say no to purchasing plastic. We stop incentivizing petroleum industries to produce less products that pollute our Mother Earth, and instead prompt them to start prioritizing people and the planet.
Beginning the morning plastic-free is a great way to set the tone for a low-waste day. Get off on the right foot from sunrise to sunset!